Upcoming Events and Activities:
Currently happening…ASUCC Donation Drive. The ASUCC Leadership Team is holding a cold weather drive for hats, gloves, coats, and sleeping bags. New or gently used and clean items are greatly appreciated. Donation boxes are available in the LaVerne Murphy Student Center near the Cafeteria, in the Bookstore, in HNSC, and in the Sue Shaffer Learning Commons and Library. Donations may also be brought to the ASUCC offices in Student Center.
October 14 – Public Night at the Observatory. At 7:30pm. Everyone is invited to a public observing night at the Paul Morgan Observatory on Saturday, October 14, at 7:30 pm. Be sure and check the observatory website before you drive to the college. The event could be cancelled due to weather. The program for the night includes exploring nebula, star clusters, and galaxies with the observatory telescopes and cameras. Dress warmly. Space is limited in the observatory; parking is available at the Tower Building. The facility is handicap accessible. This is the next to last planned public observing session for the Fall/Winter 2017-2018 season.
October 17-18-19 – ASUCC Club Fair. From 10am-3pm in the Compass area outdoors; inside the Student Center if it is raining. Want to get involved but don’t know how? Want to learn more about student clubs and organizations? Curious about how to start a new club? Stop by the Club Fair and find the answer to your questions!
October 17 - Disability Awareness. From 11:30am-1:30pm in the Student Center. October is Disability Awareness Month. In the spirit of getting the message out, Accessibility Services is educating students on what services the department provides. Meet the staff and have some cookies and punch. Free rides to and from classes will be provided all month long. If you see the Accessibility Services staff out and about in the green golf cart, don't hesitate to hop on and tell them where you're headed!
October 17 – Dialogue with Deb. 11am-12:30pm in the Bistro, located in the Cafeteria. Please plan to join UCC President Thatcher for an informative session on what is happening at UCC. This is your opportunity to ask questions, listen to others, and be aware of her vision for the college. All sessions are open to faculty, staff, and students.
October 18 – 15 Minutes Workshops at the Library - How to Cite in APA and MLA. 12:30-12:45, UCC Library.
October 19 – Power and Control. From 10:30-1pm in the Student Center Lobby. Information available about the Power and Control dynamic in abusive relationships. You will also have the opportunity to create a piece of expressive art.
October 20 - ASUCC Leadership Board Meeting. From Noon-1pm in the LaVerne Murphy Student Center Bistro (located inside the Cafeteria). This is the first meeting of the Leadership Board. Come learn more about the students who serve to ensure your voice is heard on issues of concern to you. (Please note that the meeting has been changed to Friday’s this academic term).
October 20 – Men’s Wrestling at 7pm in the Mat Room in the PE Complex.
October 21 – Women’s Wrestling vs Eastern Oregon University at 1pm in the Mat Room in the PE Complex.
October 25 – 15 Minutes Workshops at the Library - How to Read an Article. 12:30-12:45, UCC Library.
October 26 - Dialogue with Deb. 11am-12:30pm in the Bistro, located in the Cafeteria. Please plan to join UCC President Thatcher for an informative session on what is happening at UCC. This is your opportunity to ask questions, listen to others, and be aware of her vision for the college. All sessions are open to faculty, staff, and students.
Information Tables in the Student Center Lobby
- October 24 – CORE Ministry – from 11am–3pm
Your Student Leadership Board – ASUCC – meets weekly on Friday’s at Noon in the Student Center Bistro (located in the Cafeteria). The meeting is open to all interested students. ASUCC also has several committees and invites you to be a part of them:
- Activities Committee – meets on Thursday’s at Noon in the Student Engagement Center/Student Lounge in the Student Center
- Budget Committee – meets on Friday’s at 2:15 in the Umpqua Room, located in ESB (riverside)
- Constitution/Bylaws Committee – meets on Monday’s at 2pm in the Student Engagement Center/Student Lounge in the Student Center
Clubs and Student Organizations. There are a number of student clubs and organizations at UCC that you can get involved in. And…if there isn’t one that fits your interests, we can show how to get a new club started. Stop by the ASUCC offices in the Student Center to learn more about getting involved on campus. Club meetings are listed below and will be updated weekly as clubs set their meeting times:
- Campus Interfaith Coalition meets every other Tuesday (starting 10/17) at 3pm in JH 16
- Engineering Club meets on Friday’s at Noon in JH 16
- Geology Club meets on Wednesday’s at 1pm in HNSC 212
- NSNA (national Student Nursing Association) meets the first Thursday of the month from 10am-11am in HNSC 101
- QSA meets on Wednesday’s at Noon in JH 18
- Phi Theta Kappa meets on Friday’s at 9am in HSNC 212 (on 10/20) and then in HNSC 107
- Spanish Club meets on Tuesday’s at 2pm in Jackson Hall Room 16
- Umpqua University League of Legends meets on Monday’s from 4-6pm in the Student Engagement Center/Student Lounge.
- The Mainstream. The Mainstream is the student newspaper for UCC. Opportunities to get involved include, writing, photography, layout – and much more. Check it out at http://umpqua.edu/mainstream.
RiverHawk Athletics. Interested in learning more about our sports teams – Women’s Volleyball, Men’s and Women’s Basketball, Cross-Country, Wrestling, and Obstacle Course Racing? Visit http://www.uccriverhawks.com/landing/index.
ASUCC Student Services. Did you know that your ASUCC Leadership Team has a number of really great service programs to help support your success. Stop by their offices, located in the Student Engagement Center to learn more about: Backpack Program, Bus Passes, Clothing Closet (new this year!), Project CANS Food Pantry, Emergency Gas Cards, Hygiene Kits, and the Textbook Reserve.
The Cafeteria. Breakfast and Lunch are available in the Cafeteria. Cafeteria hours are 7am-2pm Monday-Friday. For breakfast, you can choose from all sorts of things like biscuits and gravy and breakfast sandwiches and breakfast burritos, to light breakfast items such as bagels, fruit, and more. Start your morning with a yummy breakfast and a warm cup of coffee. Each day, the Cafeteria features a lunch special – For those of you who say, "I wish I would have known sooner so I could plan," here is a look at next week's $5.95 daily lunch specials:
- Monday - BBQ Beef Sandwich served with fries or tater tots; Soup of the Day - Loaded Baked Potato
- Tuesday - Taco Tuesday, two tacos served with rice and beans; Soup of the Day - White Bean & Chorizo
- Wednesday - Brats with sauerkraut or Chili Dogs with fries or tater tots; Soup of the Day - Broccoli Cheddar
- Thursday - Pesto Chicken Penne served with side salad and bread; Soup of the Day - Ribollita (white bean and vegetable stew)
- Friday - Paella served with a side salad and bread; Soup of the Day - Clam Chowder
FAFSA Opened October 1. Going to college in 2018? The FAFSA is step #1. It helps give you access to grants, work-study, scholarships, and loans. Use school code 003222 when applying. Need help with your application? Visit the Peer Mentors in the Student Center.
Lactation Room. Students and employees looking for the Lactation Room at UCC can now find it in the Sue Shaffer Learning Commons and Library. Please check in at the Library Front Desk to sign in to use the room.
SNAP Benefits. Do you need extra money for food? Apply for SNAP benefits today. Even if you’ve been turned down before, you may be eligible now. Visit the Financial Aid office for more information. If you are approved, you’ll have a convenient place to use your SNAP benefits – as the UCC Bookstore now accepts EBT cards.
Three Scholarship Opportunities