ROSEBURG, Ore., Nov. 16, 2023 – Umpqua Community College (UCC) completed an extensive remodel of its library. This transformation elevates modern learning and offers a dedicated space for academic success. Upgrades were made possible as part of a $2 million grant from the U.S. Department of Education. The public grand re-opening will take place on Dec. 8, from 4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Since 1967, the Sue Shaffer Learning Commons & Library had remained largely unchanged, and this remodel introduces new innovative learning spaces. When the academic term began this year, the library re-opened for students as UCC added final touches to the building. Students responded with appreciation for the updated facility.
“I like the library pods; they are quiet and allow me to get my work done because of the privacy and atmosphere. I like how there are 4-people or 2-people options, which allows me to still be with friends while doing work,” said Tarleen Saroya, a female wrestling student from Canada studying computer science.
“The remodel of the library reflects UCC’s commitment to providing an educational environment that supports students in their academic success,” said Joe Flora, director of facilities. “We look forward to sharing this transformative space with our students, faculty, and the community on Dec. 8.”
Highlights of the remodel centered around academic success include:
- State-of-the-art study pods: Students enjoy the library pods which are enclosed quiet areas for small group conversations or to have focused space to work on their own.
- Full-time media technician within dedicated technology area: Space for students to access online course material with personal assistance. The lab is ADA-accessible and includes a print station.
- Enhanced tutoring center: Virtual writing center, 24/7 online tutoring services, and on-campus tutors covering over 15 different subjects enable academic success.
- Innovation Room: Dedicated space for training with the opportunity to experiment with the latest technology including VR equipment.
- Family-friendly study area: Dedicated sound-dampening room with child-friendly furniture, play area, and interactive learning space.Updated furnishings include new bookshelves, carpet, paint, lighting, additional power and USB outlets, and a beverage station.
- Over 30,000 new e-book titles, documentaries, and award-winning films available for checkout through the Library website.
Updated furnishings include new bookshelves, carpet, paint, lighting, additional power and USB outlets, and a beverage station.
The grant comes from a $2 million grant award from the U.S. Department of Education’s Title III Strengthening Institutions Program in 2021. The 5-year grant funds programs to support students in college preparedness, retention and graduation. It allows for the employment of two new staff members dedicated to helping students make the transition to college-level courses.
Umpqua Community College (UCC) will celebrate the grand re-opening of the remodel of the Sue Shaffer Learning Commons & Library on Friday, Dec. 8, from 4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. Open to the public.
About Umpqua Community College
Nestled in the beautiful North Umpqua River Valley, Umpqua Community College is the regional center for higher education in Douglas County, Oregon. UCC provides high quality college degree programs, workforce development, and community learning opportunities. For more information, please visit us online at umpqua.edu.